The Telfair County Library has come a long way from its humble beginnings in 1940. It began under P.T.A. sponsorship with 200 books borrowed from the Georgia Library Commission. It was housed in the old McRae-Helena School and used shelves built by C.L. Blalock’s vocational class from donated lumber. The first librarian was Nona Hines and the W.P.A. paid her salary. The operating budget was a grand total of $20.00 per month and this was contributed by local citizens. The first annual report showed total book collection of 428 volumes with 6900 books circulated.
The Telfair County Library Board was formed in 1943 and the P.T.A. was relieved of sponsorship. The library continued to grow and in 1946 it moved from the school campus to the Log Cabin near the courthouse. It moved from there to Civic Memorial Center on College Street in 1955. On May 15, 1955, it joined with Dodge County Library to form the Dodge-Telfair Regional Library, later renamed the Ocmulgee Regional Library System when Bleckley County joined. Wilcox, Pulaski, and Wheeler counties are now part of this union and a bookmobile serves the area. The library gradually took over the Civic Memorial Center and in 1976 the property was deeded to the library Board of Trustees. Roper Lawn Products made a substantial donation and citizens matched this to renovate the building. The renovation provided two multipurpose rooms to be rented for additional revenue. The walls were bulging as the library continued to grow.
In 1986, a special grant was obtained through the Georgia State Library Administration with the state to fund 90% and the county 10% for a new building. Board member Ernest Dyal headed a fund raising campaign and matching funds were raised from local businesses, civic organizations, governments, and citizens. A building lot was purchased and construction was approved in June, 1987. Construction on was completed in 1988 and the library was relocated to its current site at 815 West College Street in McRae. It is located adjacent to the historic Old South Georgia College facility.
In 2007, the current building was renovated with the assistance of a state supported grant. The library now offers a great selection of materials for all ages. The library also offers 10 public access computers, new furniture and updated furnishings as well.
- Address: 101 W College Street, Mcrae, GA, 31055, US
- Telephone: 229-868-2978
- Mo, 10:00-7:00
- Tu, 10:00-5:00
- We, 10:00-5:00
- Th, 10:00-17:00
- Fr, 10:00-17:00
New Books For Telfair County Library:
Below you’ll find links to the catalog for new books that have been added to our collection. Check back often!